Welcome to Veg'n in the 'Burbs!

It seems you have stumbled onto the companion blog to Homesteadin' in the 'burbs. Congratulations! Here you will find a treasure trove of vegetarian and vegan recipes that my family loves! I may even throw in some frugal shopping tips if you are good *wink* So pull up a seat, have a cup of coffee and enjoy!

I also want to mention that we do not strictly eat vegetarian/vegan. We work these in as often as possible but we do eat meat...we are in the process of pinning down local organic meats and buy from halal markets or eat wild game. All recipes are intended to be vegetarian but are meat optional.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Peach Salsa

So I splurged and bought a case of peaches at Whole Foods yesterday...yes its a ton of peaches, but it was only $15.

In an attempt to find something I have never made before, I googled peach recipes and got all the normals - pie filling, peaches in syrup, peach butter....but then I came across peach salsa.  I deviated a bit from teh recipe, following is what I used:


per pint jar:
3 peaches peeled & chunked
1 onion chopped
1-3 jalapenos seeded and chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1 inch fresh ginger grated
palmful of fresh mint leaves
cilantro (optional)

mix everything in a bowl then transfer to a food processor & process till as smooth or chunky as you want it.  Transfer to a bowl (then eat or refridgerate) or to a sterilized pint jar.  Process in water bath canner for 25-30 minutes.


This is great on chicken quesadillas (got my husbands approval) and would be great on grilled chicken, fish, baked tofu or atop some black beans and rice.  However you choose to use it, please leave a comment and let me know how you enjoyed it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment